MARKETGARDEN.COM - THE DIGITAL MONUMENT 1995-2018

AFTER THE BATTLE

Soon Arnhem became frontline and The Bridge was destroyed by the RAF and USAAF in October to prevent the Germans reinforcing their positions on 'the Island' (space between the rivers Waal and Rijn). Once again in the second World War our bridge was destroyed. (1940 &1944). Arnhem and Oosterbeek  where to suffer from numerous artillery shelling and air raids to come.

ARNHEM DESTROYED

The people of Arnhem and Oosterbeek were evacuated. Arnhem became a ghost town. When the people returned many saw their houses destroyed and possessions taken away. They had to start all over again.

THE CASUALTIES

Not only many soldiers lost their lives here. Many civilians became victims of brutalities and where shot without reason. Dutch resistance lost many members that had proven so valuable during the battle and where so badly needed for the coming winter.

The winter of 1944-1945 went into history as 'starvation-winter'. Over 100.000 civilians died of hunger in this winter. Many Dutch where put on transport for forced labor in German factories the last few months of the war, many never returned.

THE BEATEN...

(photoframe center) Lieutenant J. Reynolds expresses his anger and disappointment to the German photographers by giving them 'the finger' when he is taken away at the Museum on Utrechtseweg Arnhem.

AND THE LOOT IS GOING TO THE HEIMAT

The houses depraved from everything that could be used for defense works. Over 10.000 doors were removed to cover the system of trenches along the river Rijn.

Properties systematically stolen and put on transport to Germany by the 'Feldwirtschafts-commando' and 'Bergungscommando'. With the city evacuated, signs like these could be placed without danger. Photographer De booys risked his life shooting many photo's of these events. (photos: De Booys)

THE BRIDGE

stage.jpg (40017 bytes)

The building of Arnhem Road Bridge started in 1932 and was completed in 1935. In May 1940 during the invasion of Holland the Bridge was destroyed by the Dutch Army. After Holland was captured the Germans reinstated the original ship bridge that connected both parts of the town before the bridge was build in 1935. It was only in September 1944, 3 weeks before the start of OMG that the Bridge was finally repaired again by the Germans. There were now 2 bridges operational. The main Bridge and the Ship bridge. It was only a few days before the operation, that the middle sections of the ship bridge were removed and stored a few hundred meters downstream. One of the original ships is recovered some year ago. It is beeing restored for display as we speak. It was in Oktober 1944 when allied bombers destroyed Arnhem bridge. In April 1945 when Holland was liberated, the Canadians first build a double pontoon bridge (Campbell Bridge)on the spot were the ship bridge had been. At the same time the construction of a bailey Bridge was started just east of the destroyed road bridge. It was opend on June 8th, 1945. Finally in 1950 the rebuild road bridge was opend again.

back sitemap next page